Oliver Mtukudzi Speaks Out Against Xenophobic Attacks
Zimbabwean legend Oliver Mtukudzi has lent his voice to the growing chorus of condemnation of xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
In a statement issued on independence day Tuku said he had been watching events in South Africa ‘with horror’.
African turns on African as we forget the long journey we have traveled together against similar injustice and persecution from others who sought to subjugate us perpetually.
It is unthinkable that in this day and age, when Africa stands on the cusp of the long awaited realization of its greatness, that we can do this sort of thing to one another.
Tuku also said his heart and prayers were with those affected, whatever country they were from adding that the artificial borders had been drawn by others. He urgedSouth Africans ‘to stand up and say no to the hate of other Africans, no to violence and no murder’.
He further called on African leaders ‘to speak out strongly against this madness’ with a call to arms based on pre-independence united stand against colonialism.
Tuku then ended the message calling xenophobia a ‘scourge that we need to get rid of once and for all’.
In this light it is not enough to just condemn it, we need to map out a long term plan as a continent to make sure that what we are seeing in South Africa today, never happens again – anywhere in Africa.
Six people have been confirmed dead by police and thousands more displaced during the latest tensions in South Africa which have complicated that country’s relationship with its neighbours.
Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe earlier on Saturday expressed his shock and disgust at events in that KwaZulu-Natal.