Key things ED got right in is inauguration speech
New Zimbabwe president Emmerson Mnangagwa has given his inauguration speech after being sworn in on Saturday.
Here is the key messaging he got right:
- He paid tribute to the founding president Robert Mugabe referring to him as his ‘father’ and ‘leader’.
- He said that land resettlement was irreversible and then said his administration was committed to compensating farmers whose farms were taken according to the law
- He said the economy would be based on command agriculture and that all with land should avail themselves of government programmes.
- Enterprise is encouraged and protected
- All foreign investments are safe in Zimbabwe
- The liquidity crisis is to be tackled head on
- For Civil servants it is not business as usual. Absenteeism is a thing of the past with poor service
- Corruption to be tackled head on with swift justice
- Commitment to international organisations and re-engagement with those they fought with before
- Call for sanctions to be reconsidered
- Let bygones be bygones and build Zimbabwe
- He will serve as a president for all
- Elections are to be held next year
- He will not govern through speeches and will hit the ground running.
Mnangagwa was sworn in in front of a packed crowd at the National Sports Stadium in Harare.