A Harare Man is set to receive compensation from the City Council after the local authority was found liable for burns he sustained from electricity cables left exposed during routine maintenance.
Milton Mundembe will receive US$3,448 and the employees concerned are to be punished.
We hope this will be a landmark case given the number of people who have been injured or killed due to negligence on the part of the utility authorities. For a while incidences of this nature have taken place and there has so far been no reaction in as far as getting the book thrown at the authorities.
It shows the law is effective, when we choose to use it. Mind you, $3,448 is a let-off.
Source: The Herald